Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Fusions and Foul moods

Saw the Neurosurgeon yesterday for a follow up on the Chiari surgery. Everything looks good other than the muscle spasms which he says are not unheard of, even if they are not "normal" for two months post-op. I can't really complain, the neck doesn't stop me doing anything - it just gets annoying and sore. So no new news on the Chiari front - follow up in 3 months.

We did discuss my back however :-( He had said my degeneration was bad enough to be surgical but I never had the chance to discuss his thoughts on how to fix. Was kinda busy with the whole brain surgery thing. So, yesterday we sat down and discussed my low back. The MRI he is going by is almost 2 years old but he is suggesting a fusion of the L5-S1 based on my pain, limited abilities and past attempts at non-surgical treatments. He wasn't pushing the surgery but in the way I have come to know as Dr. Sullivan - he listened and said it was up to me to decide when and if I have surgery. He gave me the risks and his stats on outcomes and left it up to me.

I did have the MRI also last night that the pain clinic Doc ordered. Now I wait for him to call me and schedule the injection. I am hoping to avoid surgery and recovery during summer. I did take a peek and the disc looks bad. It is dark, thin and jagged. It was easy to see why I hurt even though I am no radiologist.

More of the waiting game now and this (or maybe just life) has me in a foul mood lately. I find it harder and harder to see a life for myself, one that doesn't hurt anyways.

1 comment: