Saturday, December 26, 2009

So many decisions

My head just hurts, so many decisions to make. I am working on not worrying, generally an issue for me. Kinda hard NOT to, given the fact that I am facing brain surgery for a rare condition and research and studies just arn't there yet to make a truly informed decision. When people are usually faced with yucky medical stuff like major surgery - Doctors have standard protocols and studies to give you facts and guesstimates as to outcome. Not so with Chiari. I do believe without a doubt God has my back on this one. That doesn't mean I can just sit back and He does all the work does it?

So what Doctors do I get opinions from? Again the whole rare thing comes into play. Experience is crucial so finding a Dr. that has enough experience is top of my list. I have researched and researched and read and read and am still confused. I do have my first appointment set up with an interesting Doctor at the Cleveland Clinic. Dr. Di does a minimally invasive procedure, less chances for complications is good until I read less chances of long term relief tends to go with that. My Chiari is small compared to many, my symptoms not as severe as so many people I have read about. I have also read so many stories where the surgery doesn't work and has to be re-done or symptoms return and again you face surgery. Where do I hedge my bets as it seems this is the game I play?

Just figuring out travel is more complicated that it needs to be. The Dr's I am looking at are in Ohio and PA right now - bad places to drive to in winter. I *HATE* driving in the snow and with my lower back problems - long periods in the car HURT! So I am in the process of finding out the best way to get to even get an opinion, yet alone surgery once I decide on the Dr. Hubby can't go with me, we need him to save his time off for the actual surgery and recovery so my son Eric will be my travel companion. Flying isn't a good option since the pressure changes hurt my head and it is super expensive. Driving isn't a good option - 6 hours one way for me won't work. Bus? Train? Both have potential until I realize I have to rent a car to get to the Dr.'s. I give up for tonight. Prayers for guidance are needed without a doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment