Sunday, February 14, 2010

Pre-op

This is me, shortly before they took me in for surgery. Gotta love the happy meds they gave me :-) The funny looking thing on my forehead is the monitor they used to tell how out I was during the actual surgery.

We found our way to the admitting spot and after a very short wait, we were taken back and the prep began. Got the elegant gown on, IV in and then a guy comes over to put the arterial line in to check my blood pressure every hour during surgery and when he told me he was from anesthesia, I started crying. I couldn't help it. One of my biggest fears had been anesthesia. Having had two surgeries and a procedure where the anesthesia wasn't adequate, I was afraid. One surgery I was paralyzed but heard and felt everything, not pressure but the actual surgery itself. The other surgery, I woke up in the middle and pulled the breathing tube out, dislocated my jaw and had to be restrained. Needless to say, the concept of the anesthesia not working fully freaked me out.

The guy was so sweet. He asked why I was crying, with genuine concern in his face. I told him my story and he went to get me some meds to calm me down and brought the anesthesiologist with him. I re-told her my story and again, I see true concern. I swear the guy even had tears. They understood and had actual sympathy for what I had been through and assured me they would do everything in their power to make sure that didn't happen again.

They had a plan and even said they would wait until I was under anesthesia to put the arterial line in. They would use a BIS monitor to make sure I was actually "out" and I now sing the praises of this invention.

The meds calmed me down and they gave me more as they were taking me away. Next thing I know, I am in ICU - I didn't even remember being in the OR or the recovery unit. This was a huge blessing to me.

Despite the tears I saw in Dave that morning, he was once again my rock during pre-op. No tears or fear was visible in his face, even as they took me. He is the most amazing husband anyone could ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment