Sunday, March 21, 2010

I believe in Vampires

Odd title for a Chiari blog written by a Christian but it is the truth, in a fairy tale kinda way. If you are only interested in Chiari info, don't both reading more - this isn't about Chiari for once - it's about life as I see it. Or at least one aspect of it.

When the Twilight series first came out, I resisted. It's vampires after all. For one I am a Christian and for two - well, I grew up on Dracula and there wasn't anything sexy or romantic about those movies to me. My amazing hubby reminded me that I was a youth leader at the time and to connect with teens, one must understand them. So - we rented Twilight. I wasn't expecting much honestly. What I ended up with was falling in love with vampires and annoyed at the Christian community. How the Christian world had let the vampire world corner the market on a movie of what it means to be a man and be in love was beyond me. I was annoyed. Edward LOVED Bella. The deep, primal Love that I believe can only come from God. How do I know? Well, I have it. I HAVE that fairy take love. I am safe with Dave and for us gals, isn't that what it REALLY boils down to?

Sure we have to work at our relationship but I honestly have a man who would die for me and I have no doubts. The vampire world portrayed that so well and so many Christian kids would never see the movie because - well, it's a vampire movie. So sad.

I struggle not to get sucked into two worlds I am surrounded by. One world is a wicked world, ruled by the flesh with no signs of God and no submission to Christ. The other is this bubble that has their children NOT interacting with the outside world for fear of contaminating them. Being a woman who is one giant ball of contradictions, one would think balancing raising my children to be IN the world but not OF the world would be easy, but it's not. I struggle daily. So, I bit the bullet and decided to let them all watch it me. I think we can learn a lot from the series.

Both Jacob and Edward love Bella to the point of she comes first, family means more than anything and learning to be who you are sometimes means hurting the ones you love. Imagine if that movie had both Edward and Jacob as Christians? Talk about impact!

No comments:

Post a Comment