Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New Sleep Schedule

before the surgery, my sleep schedule was NUTS! Insomnia was so bad, I would get just a few hours a night. Luckily, I can sleep again! I do have this odd pattern though and I am trying to figure out if i like it or not. It may be just odd enough to keep me happy and out of trouble for awhile!

I wake up early (I have never been a morning person!), between 4-6 A.M. and need a nap before long. I do get to see Dave off to work and the kids off to school but am usually back in bed by 10-11 A.M. and sleep until 3-4 P.M and then bed for the night by 11 or 12 P.M. Odd but it seems to work. I get to do the morning thing with the family, have some quiet time before any of them wake up and sleep during the hardest part of the day. I get bored easy so I have a tendency to do more than I should. During the day is when I usually want to do stuff so sleeping through that isn't the worst thing in the world I guess :-) Plus if I do some small errands in the morning, my nap helps me recover before evening. I guess this is the pattern I shall keep for a while!

Yesterday wasn't such a great day. Good news is that it wasn't my head or neck but my lower back again. My puppy is a GIANT (156 pounds at 8 months) and hasn't been on the leash much because of winter and me being sick. Manners needed some work so did socialization. He tends to be afraid of everyone and barks (and then hides behind me). Two of my kids had a dentist appointment so my oldest daughter was at the school by herself. I decided to walk Duke up to the school to get her. I have walked farther than that since surgery with no issues so I assumed I would be O.K. Mistake #1. I made it almost all the way when my back just FROZE and it hurt so bad I couldn't move. Not even one step was an option. Once I rested I was able to hobble the two houses to my home but that was insane how bad that hurt. It kept doing that all evening, if I walked too many steps in the house it would freeze up and then the tingling started :-( I HATE THAT! Good news is my puppy did wonderful! He was happy to let the kids pet him and loved the attention as well as did wonderful on the leash for me. He was giddy all evening, I swear I haven't seen a goofier puppy!

I was able to fumble through dinner, easy dinner of frozen taquitos, peaches, fries and corn dogs (my kids were in heaven!) but none the less I made it through dinner. This is one of my few simple, daily goals. Dinner, laundry, a dog walk and one small house chore or an errand are my daily goals. Some days I make it, some days I don't and it's all good. Tonight's dinner is Chicken Alfredo (I am cheating - using packaged Alfredo with noodles and then adding cooked chicken breast) with rolls. Simple but it gets me cooking again :-) I plan to cook the chicken before my nap in hopes of even being able to do clean up from dinner. Hubby is still sick with a cold and he loved coming home and just resting so much the other day - he deserves that!

1 comment:

  1. I just ran across your blog today. If you are living with chiari, you can connect with others at http://www.chiarisupport.org. I created this site and others like it to help connect people affected by rare diseases.

    Ben Munoz
    ben@bensfriends.org

    ReplyDelete